License & Passport Information

Click here to skip this content

License Suspension

If you owe child support and you are not paying as required, your driver’s, professional, and/or recreational (fishing, hunting, etc.) licenses can be suspended. If your payment is overdue by more than 30 days, a notification is automatically sent to several California licensing agencies, including the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The first time, the licensing agency will notify you by letter and you will have 150 days to respond or your license will be suspended. If it happens again, you will be notified by mail and have only 30 days to respond before your license gets suspended.

If you receive a notification from the DMV or any of the California licensing agencies, you should immediately contact the child support agency handling your case. They can help you avoid this action or help get your license released. Every case is different, so the requirements for the release will be determined on a case by case basis. It is a very good idea to keep your child support agency informed if you have problems making your payments. There are programs available to assist you and communication is always the best action you can take.


Passport Denial

If your unpaid child support balance reaches $2,500, the U.S. State Department will not issue or renew your passport until your balance is paid in full. If you are notified that your passport application is denied, please contact your local child support office and they can assist you.