Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

How can I get a copy of my W-2 form?

Contact the Fresno County Auditor-Controller/Treasurer-Tax Collector’s Office, Payroll Division at (559) 600-3600.

Who do I contact to verify employment for Fresno County employees?

Contact the Employment Verification/Roster section of Employee Benefits at (559) 600-1820.

I need to get a hold of a County employee and I don’t know which department they work in. Who do I call?

Contact the Employment Verification/Roster section of Employee Benefits at (559) 600-1820.

Employment Questions

What is an “Open” recruitment?

This type of recruitment is normally conducted to fill vacancies which are either entry in nature or not a normal progression in a series.

What is a “General Promotional” recruitment?

This type of recruitment may be conducted to fill vacancies in a classification where a sufficient applicant pool exists within the County as determined by the Department of Human Resources. The applicant group is limited to employees in permanently allocated positions who meet the minimum qualifications specified on the announcement.


What is a “Departmental Promotional” recruitment?

This type of recruitment may be conducted to fill vacancies in a classification which exists in only one department, or where a sufficient applicant pool exists within the hiring department as determined by the Department of Human Resources.

The applicant group is limited to employees in permanently allocated positions in the department requesting to fill a vacancy and who meet the minimum qualifications specified on the announcement.

What types of exams does the County utilize?

The exam process used may consist of a written, oral, and/or performance component.

What is an “eligible” or “employment” list?

This is a list of names in rank order of persons who have passed the examination for a specific recruitment. As vacancies occur, the department selects from the top ten names available at the time (depending on its request, in accordance with Rule 4 of the Personnel Rules). Those not selected are returned to the list for future vacancy consideration.

What is a background investigation?

Some positions may require a background investigation. The background investigation requires you to provide information regarding your personal history including: legal issues ‑ arrests and/or convictions; personal information ‑ relatives, references, and acquaintances; education; experience and employment; residences; financial status; military service, and vehicle operation history.

What if I have a disability and need reasonable accommodation?

Upon request, Fresno County will make reasonable accommodations for individuals with qualifying disabilities on a case-by-case basis for testing and/or selection process. Prior to any part of the testing and/or selection process, please notify the analyst who is conducting the recruitment of your need for reasonable accommodation at (559) 600-1830. Verification of qualifying disability from a licensed Physician is required.

What is the difference between a quarter and semester system?

Each college or university has an academic year with terms marking the start and end of classes. The semester system is an academic year with approximately 15 to 18 weeks of instruction offered two times a year, during fall and spring. The quarter system is an academic year with 10 weeks of instruction offered three times a year, during fall, winter, and spring.

Conversion formula: Semester units multiplied by 1.5 = quarter units
Quarter units divided by 1.5 = semester units
Example: 60 semester units x1.5 = 90 quarter units

Classification Questions

Who do I contact for assistance with a Survey?

For a Salary Survey contact Classification & Compensation at (559) 600-1830 or send an email to

For a Benefits Survey contact Employee Benefits at (559) 600-1810 or send an email to

Where can I find salaries for Fresno County’s Job Classifications?

The Alphabetical Position Listing includes the salaries for all County Job Classifications. Click Here to see County Salary Information.

Where can I find Fresno County’s Class Specifications?

County Class Specifications are available online. To request a Class Specification to be emailed, faxed, or sent to you via U.S. Mail, please email your request to or call our office at (559) 600-1830.

Employee Benefit Questions

Is this the office that I call regarding retirement questions?

No, although we handle the health insurance for Fresno County Retirees, all questions regarding retirement should be answered by the Retirement Association at (559) 457-0681.

I want to add/remove a dependent to/from my health insurance. How do I get this completed?

In order for you to add or remove a dependent you must show proof of loss of other coverage (qualifying event). This must be done within 30 calendar days from which the qualifying event occurred. If you want to add a newborn to your insurance, please complete the necessary forms within 30 calendar days from the date of birth of the child. Coverage/terminations become effective the following pay period in which the qualifying event occurs.

I have a question regarding certain deductions on my paycheck. Who do I contact?

Employee Benefits may be able to assist you with most of your deduction questions; however, any deductions unrelated to health insurance premiums should be directed to County Payroll at (559) 600-3600.

I am a recent new hire with the County of Fresno. When does health insurance coverage begin?

Health insurance coverage takes effect at the start of the pay period following the pay period you were hired (e.g. hire date 10/1/12, insurance effective 10/15/12).

How do I determine what disability plan I am covered under?

Disability plans are determined by your job classification. Although most job classes are covered under State Disability Insurance (SDI), there are some job classifications that fall under different disability programs and others that have no disability program at all. Please call Employee Benefits at (559) 600-1810 if you have any questions.

I am currently covered under my spouse's health insurance through his/her employment. Do I need to enroll in the County’s Health Insurance Program?

Please call Employee Benefits at (559) 600-1810 to see if you are eligible to opt-out of the County's Health Insurance Program. If you do not have other insurance, it is mandatory for all permanent full-time County Employees to enroll in the County health plan. If you do not enroll in the County’s insurance plan, you will automatically be assigned to a health plan.

When can I change my health insurance plan?

County employees may make changes to their health insurance plans only during the annual Open Enrollment period, or within 30 calendars days of a qualifying event. Open Enrollment typically takes place between mid-October and early November, with the changes taking effect the beginning of the 1st pay period of the new payroll year (usually mid-December).

I am enrolled in the HMO plan and want to change my primary health care physician, do I have to wait until Open Enrollment to do this change?

No, you can change your primary health care physician at any time by calling your health plan and requesting a change.

I currently have a life, disability or critical illness policy through Trustmark; how do I make changes to my policy?

Any changes, such as a beneficiary change or increasing/decreasing the amounts, should be done by calling Trustmark directly at (800) 918-8877.

I’m currently enrolled in the County Deferred Compensation Plan; how can I change my contributions or beneficiary?

Please contact Nationwide at (877) MYFC457 (693-2457) to make changes to your deferred compensation plan, or visit their website at

When can I make changes to my deferred compensation plan?

Changes to your deferred compensation plan may be done at any time during the year.

Labor Relation Questions

What bargaining unit am I in?

Information regarding what bargaining unit your classification is represented by can be obtained by accessing the Classifications By Unit page.

How do I get in contact with the organization that represents my classification?

Contact information regarding all certified employee organizations can be obtained by accessing the Certified Employee Organizations page.

I want to file a grievance – what do I do?

Information regarding the Employee Grievance Resolution Procedure, as well as the form utilized, for represented and unrepresented employees can be obtained by accessing the Employee Grievance Resolution Procedure page.

How do I file a discrimination complaint?

Information regarding the Discrimination Complaint Procedure, as well as the form utilized, can be obtained by accessing the Discrimination Complaint Procedure page.

Additionally, employees have the option of filing a complaint with the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and/or the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The following are the relevant addresses and telephone numbers for these agencies:

California Department of Fair Employment and Housing
1900 Mariposa Mall, Suite 130
Fresno, CA 93721

U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
1265 W. Shaw Ave., Suite 103
Fresno, CA 93711

Risk Management Questions

Liability Claims

How do I file a claim?

You must file a claim for damages with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.

Claims for bodily injury or death, damage to personal property or damage to growing crops must be filed not later than six months after the occurrence out of which the claim/claims arose. All other claims must be filed not later than one year after the occurrence out of which the claim/claims arose. (Refer to California Government Code Section 911.2)

Directions: File the original and one copy with the County of Fresno, Clerk of the Board of Supervisors, Hall of Records, Room 301, 2281 Tulare St., Fresno, CA 93721. Retain a copy for your records.

If you have any questions, please call Risk Management (559) 600-1850.

How long will it take to process my claim?

We have 45 days to investigate a claim before it is automatically rejected by operation of law. We make every effort to complete our investigation promptly.

Why was my claim rejected?

If our investigation shows that the County wasn’t negligent then we must reject your claim. The County or its employee must have done something wrong which directly caused your damages in order for us to honor your claim.

I am a County employee, what do I do if I am involved in an auto accident?

If the accident is within Fresno County, Sheriff's Dispatch should be immediately notified (559) 600-3111. The accident should also be immediately reported to the employee's direct supervisor. A Motor Vehicle Accident Report(DOC, 240KB) should also be filled out and submitted. See Management Directives 1010 and 1020(DOC, 332KB) for more information.

I am a County employee, how do I report a non-vehicular accident involving possible County liability?

The incident should be reported with the Incident Report - Non-Employee Form(DOC, 400KB). See Management Directive 1040(DOC, 332KB) for more information.

Safety and Health

How often should employees attend the various safety courses offered by Risk Management?

It is recommended that employees attend general safety training courses once every three years or at the discretion of management. Classes such as Fire Extinguisher, Bloodborne Pathogens, Asbestos/Lead Awareness, Forklift, and CPR training courses are the exception as their time intervals are more frequent.

How much does Risk Management charge to attend the various safety trainings?

With the exception of Forklift training, all classes offered in Risk Management are free.

If there is a possible safety or health hazard in my working environment that could cause injury/illness to fellow employees or clients/customers, what is the proper way of reporting it?

If there is an immediate hazard such as a fire or earthquake, the person who has management over sight of that area should be contacted immediately. For those situations that are not an immediate danger, the employee should utilize the County’s Employee Hazard Report form(DOC, 146KB) to report potential hazards.

What should I do if I start experiencing problems that may be associated with a repetitive motion injury that arises out of the course of my daily job duties?

The employee should consult with the County’s Ergonomic Handbook(PDF, 2MB) to see if there are changes that can be made to the workstation. If problems continue after this is done, the employee should contact his/her immediate supervisor ASAP. The supervisor will work with the Department Safety Coordinator to set up an Ergonomic Evaluation.

Special Events Insurance, Community Service Worker Program

How do I obtain liability insurance for my wedding reception or special event?

Risk Management 16th Floor of the Plaza Building. The following information is required to determine the cost of the liability insurance:

  1. How many guests will attend
  2. Will alcohol be served

My community based organization is interested in participating in the Community Service Worker Program. How do I get on the list?

If your organization is located in Fresno County and has received approval of its non-profit status from the IRS under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an application can be mailed to you. To request an application call (559) 600-1850. This application, a participation fee of $260, and a copy of your organization's 501(c)(3) status verification documents needs to be mailed to Risk Management. Hands On and the Probation Department will be notified of your participation. They will then send volunteers to your organization as the volunteers become available.


Worker's Compensation Questions

What is Workers’ Compensation?

Workers’ compensation is a state mandated insurance program that provides benefits to employees who suffer job-related injuries and illnesses. Each state has its own laws and programs for workers’ compensation. Generally, an employee with a work-related illness or injury can get Workers’ Compensation benefits regardless of who is at fault. In exchange for these guaranteed benefits, employees usually do not have the right to sue the employer in court for damages for those injuries.

Are all on-the-job injuries covered by Workers’ Compensation?

Workers’ compensation covers most, but not all, on-the-job injuries. The workers’ compensation system is designed to provide benefits to injured workers, even if an injury is caused by the employer’s or employee’s carelessness. But there are some limits. To receive workers’ compensation benefits, an injury must arise out of employment and occur while an employee is in the course of employment. Employment must cause the injury/illness.

What do I do if I am injured on-the-job?

You should notify your supervisor as soon as possible. He/she will provide you with a Workers' Compensation packet that has all the information you need as well as a claim form. You should complete the claim form immediately and return it to your supervisor.

Can I go to my own doctor for an industrial injury?

Yes, but only if you have pre-designated your doctor. In order to qualify to be pre-designated, the doctor must be your regular treating physician or surgeon who maintains your records, must have directed your medical care in the past, and he or she must agree to be pre-designated. Your pre-designated treating physician must be a physician or surgeon and may not be a chiropractor.

How do I pre-designate my personal physician as the physician I choose to see in the event of an on-the-job injury?

Complete an Employee's Designation of Personal Physician Form prior to the injury, have your doctor complete the section agreeing to the pre-designation, and submit it to Risk Management.

Will the County pay me for time I take off work to go to doctor’s appointments or physical therapy?

No. Workers' Compensation law does not require an employer to pay for doctor visits, physical therapy visits, etc. You may use your Annual Leave or Sick Leave for these appointments. Many facilities have extended hours and can arrange to see patients before or after work for your convenience.

Can I decline to pursue my Workers Compensation claim?

Yes. Submit a letter stating that you do not wish to proceed with a Workers' Compensation Claim and submit it to Risk Management.

How can I check the status of my Workers' Compensation Claim?

You will need to contact the County's Third Party Administrator, AIMS at (559) 227-9972 to obtain this information. Provide the Administrator your full name, date of injury and department.

What is a Third Party Administrator?

The County of Fresno is self-insured. A third party administrator is a company that manages claims for a self-insured entity. AIMS is currently our third party administrator. They are responsible for accepting or denying claims, processing claims, noticing claimants, and paying our Workers' Compensation benefits.

Who do I call to discuss my claim?

If it is a general question about Workers' Compensation, you can call Risk Management. We will be able to answer most of your questions. If you would like to know specific information regarding your claim you may contact AIMS, (559) 227-9972.

If a doctor takes me off work, will I get paid by Workers' Compensation for my lost time?

If an authorized physician takes you off work for more than three (3) days, Workers' Compensation pays you 2/3 of your average weekly earnings while you are off work once your claim has been accepted. The payment is issued in your name and sent to main payroll. Main payroll sends the check to you. You endorse the check and return it to main payroll. Main payroll uses the 2/3 disability check and your accrued leave to continue your full salary as long as you have leave available. If all of your leave credits are used, and you are still off work under the authorized doctor's orders, you will receive direct payment from Workers' Compensation for 2/3 of your average weekly earnings.

Why do I have to sign my temporary disability check over to payroll?

The County allows employees to “integrate”. Integration allows employees to receive a full paycheck while they are off of work due to a work-related injury. By integrating, an employee keeps their benefits, retirement and any other deductions current. Should you not integrate, deductions will not be kept current and the employee will lose their health benefits immediately.

Do I need an attorney?

You have the right to be represented by an attorney but their fee will be deducted from any settlement you may receive. The State of California provides Information and Assistance Officers if you want to ensure you are receiving objective answers to your questions. You can locate an Information and Assistance officer through 1-800-736-7401, or at The Workers' Compensation Appeals Board has procedures in place to make sure injured workers are protected.