Business License Information

Business License Information

The Tax Collector's Office licenses businesses located in the unincorporated areas of Fresno County.

Please review the questions below before applying:


Step 1.Is your business located in an unincorporated area?

The unincorporated areas of Fresno County is identified by the Tax Rate Area (TRA). If your business is located within the TRAs 001-XXX to 015-XXX, then it’s part of the incorporated areas. If your business is located within a TRA higher than 015-XXX, then it’ll be part of the unincorporated areas. To determine and find out your Tax Rate Area, please utilize the Assessor Assessed Value Lookup Tool. The box right under the Parcel Number box is the TRA.

If your business is located in an incorporated area, you should contact the city where your business address is located for a business license.

Step 2.Does your business require a license?

To assist in determining if your business requires a license through the Tax Collector’s Office, please refer to Title 6 of the Code of Ordinances.

The most common business licenses issued in the County include:

  • Junk Dealer
  • Secondhand Dealer
  • Used Goods Dealer
  • Itinerant Dealer
  • Licenses to Sell Firearms
  • Outdoor Entertainment Event
  • Ambulance Vehicle

Step 3.Do you have Zoning Clearance?

Confirm that you are clear to conduct business in your chosen location.

County of Fresno Zoning & Enforcement
Phone: (559) 600-4550
Fax: (559) 455-4700

Applying for a License

If you have determined that your business does require a license with the Fresno County Tax Collector’s Office, fill out and submit the Business License Application form(DOCX, 53KB) with full payment by mail to:

ATTN:  Business License Application
P.O. BOX 1192
FRESNO, CA 93715-1192

Please make your check or money order payable to Fresno County Tax Collector. Do not mail cash.

Or by visiting us in person at the Hall of Records, 2281 Tulare Street Room 105, Fresno, CA 93721.

Apply for a Business License(DOCX, 53KB)

Additional Resources

  • The California Department of Tax and Fee Administration provides specific information about how to register for permits and licenses, and how to file and report correctly.
  • CalGold Home Page – a comprehensive website that assists business owners in finding the appropriate permit information for their business. It also provides contact information for the various agencies that administer and issue permits, including those for cities, counties, and various other State departments.

Additional Questions

For additional assistance, please contact us by email at: