Assistance Programs for Non-Citizens

Multi Ethnic Hands.jpg

The Fresno County Department of Social Services offers public assistance programs for Non-Citizens based on their immigration status.

Individuals in California seeking assistance are encouraged to consult one of many state-funded organizations that provide legal services to immigrants.  Here is a list of immigration services providers funded by CDSS. 

Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI)

What is CAPI? 

CAPI is a 100 percent state-funded program that provides monthly cash benefits to aged, blind, and disabled non-citizens (immigrants) who are not eligible to Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP) solely due to their immigration status. The amount of CAPI benefits is equivalent to the amount of SSI/SSP benefits.

An individual who is eligible to CAPI may also be eligible for Medi-Cal, CalFresh and In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS), but they must apply for each benefit separately.  There is no automatic eligibility link between CAPI and these other programs.

An individual may be eligible for CAPI if they meet all of the following conditions:

  • Are a non-citizen and meet the immigration status criteria in effect for SSI/SSP as of 8/21/96.
  • Are age 65 or over, blind or disabled.
  • Are ineligible for SSI/SSP solely due to their immigration status. (This means they must apply for SSI/SSP, or submit other proof of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration.)
  • Reside in California.
  • Have income less than the CAPI standards.
  • Have resources below the allowable limits of $2,000 for an individual or $3,000 for a couple.
  • Successfully complete the application process.

Who is not eligible to the CAPI program?

  • US Citizens
  • Residents of a public institution
  • Anyone who lives outside of the United States for more than 30 days
  • Fleeing felon
  • Anyone who violates a condition of probation of parole
  • Anyone who fails to file for all other benefits for which they are eligible to

How can I apply for CAPI?

Fill out the CAPI Application (SOC 814) and send to us by mail or fax.  Or drop it off at one of our office locations.

Mail Address:  DSS, PO Box 1912, Fresno, CA 93718

Fax Number: (559) 600-7706

Applications are available in these languages:  English | Spanish | Armenian | Chinese  

Learn more about CAPI

Individuals interested in learning more can also visit the California Department of Social Services (CDSS) webpage for CAPI.


Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA)

Who is RCA for?

RCA is a cash assistance program for refugees who are not otherwise eligible for any other cash aid.  RCA also includes employment and other social services to assist a refugee in becoming self-sufficient.

Populations that could be eligible for the RCA includes: RefugeesAsyleesCuban/Haitian entrantsSpecial Immigrant Visa (SIV) holdersAfghan and Ukrainian Parolees, Amerasians, and Certified Victims of Human Trafficking.

RCA is available for up to 12 months from date of admission to the U.S. in qualifying status, date of final grant of asylum or date of certification by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) as Victim of Trafficking.

How to Apply 

Go to and apply online. 

Or go to our Apply for Assistance page for other ways to apply for services.

Learn More about RCA

For more information visit the California Department of Social Services Website.


Cuban and Haitian Entrant Cash Assistance (ECA)

The ECA program is a 12 month, federally funded needs-based cash assistance program for qualified Cubans and Haitians who:

  • Have a current or expired parole
  • Are in pending removal proceedings, or
  • Have a pending application for asylum are Cuban/Haitian Entrants and thus are eligible for ORR benefits and services, same as a refugee.

The ECA program mirrors the Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) program.

How To Apply

Go to and apply online for CalWORKs.  Questions related to ECA will be included with the CalWORKs application.

Or go to our Apply for Assistance page for other ways to apply for services.



Trafficking and Crime Victim Assistance Program (TCVAP)

Trafficking and Crime Victim Assistance Program (TCVAP)

Who is it for?

TCVAP is a cash assistance program for non-citizen victims of crime who are in need of immediate services, and who are obtaining a legal humanitarian status or assisting in the prosecution of a crime.  This program victims of human trafficking who have not yet been certified by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR), victims of domestic violence, and other serious crimes.

How to Apply:

Go to and apply online.

Or go to our Apply for Assistance page for other ways to apply for services.

Already Getting TCVAP:

If you have questions or problems with your TCVAP benefits, contact us or the CDSS TCVAP coordinator at (916) 654-4356, email at

Non-citizen victims of crime and their eligible family members in the TCVAP are eligible for benefits and services to the same extent as refugees.

Additional Services:

TCVAP recipients may also receive additional services through the Enhanced Services for Asylees and Vulnerable Noncitizens (ESAVN) program.  For more information about services available and to see if you’re eligible, please visit the ESAVN webpage.

Do you need a service provider to work with?

To contact a local organization who assist victims of crime, contact the National Human Trafficking Resource Center for assistance.




Other Assistance Programs


For more information please visit our CalWORKs webpage.

General Relief

For more information please visit our General Relief webpage.


For more information please visit our CalFresh webpage, California Food Assistance Program (CFAP) webpage,  or our CalFresh Frequently Asked Questions webpage


Medi-Cal is available for all California residents who meet the eligibility requirements whether they are a citizen or non-citizen.

Learn more on our Medi-Cal webpage and our Medi-Cal Frequently Asked Questions webpage