Q: Who can apply for assistance?

A: Any person has the right to apply for assistance. An applicant who appears ineligible must still be allowed to exercise his/her right to make an application.

Q: Who is eligible for CalWORKs?

A: Families are eligible if there is a minor child in the home whose parents(s) are unable to provide adequate support because:

  • Either parent is deceased;
  • Either parent is physically or mentally incapacitated;
  • The principal earner is unemployed;
  • Either parent is continually absent from the home in which the child is living

Q: Where can I apply for CalWORKs?

A: To start the application process, you may apply online 24-hours a day, 7 days a week by visiting Once your application is received, you will be contacted by a Fresno County Department of Social Services Eligibility Worker, during normal business hours.

You can also visit one of our locations to pick up a paper application

Q: How much cash aid can be received?

A: The chart below, effective October 1, 2023, shows the maximum CalWORKs cash benefits a household can receive on a monthly basis.  

A household with a non-parent caretaker or a household that the adults are receiving temporary or permanent disability can receive the higher exempt MAP  

Person(s) on Cash Aid

Non-Exempt MAP

Exempt MAP




























10 or more