Juvenile Court Services

Juvenile Courthouse

3333 E. American Ave.
Building 701 Suite B,
Fresno, CA. 93725 map
Monday - Friday
8:00 A.M - 5:00 P.M
(559) 600-4700

Juvenile Intake

Juvenile Intake is a referral source for law enforcement on criminal and local ordinance violations and encompasses both cases cited non-custody and those processed as in-custody through the Fresno County Juvenile Justice Campus.  Serious cases are referred to the District Attorney for the filing of a petition (charges) pursuant to existing law and department policy.  Petitions filed by the DAs office can be processed for youth in-custody or as a not in custody petition. All other law violations can be handled by other options, such as: no charges filed for insufficient evidence, release and reprimand, referral to CJC, and informal probation (WIC 654.2). 

Intake officers are also responsible for court ordered WIC 241.1 staffing with the Department of Social Services. This staffing is conducted for youth who were removed from their homes and are or may be WIC 300 dependents and under the supervision of a social worker. The staffing is held in order to determine which court, Juvenile Delinquency or Juvenile Dependency, will best serve the needs of a youth.

Juvenile Investigations

Juvenile Investigations is a mandated service provided to the Juvenile Court. After adjudication of a petition by the District Attorney, an in-depth social study is completed which includes recommendations to the Court for disposition purposes. This unit also provides the Court with written information and recommendations for record sealing, and Court Officers in each of the Juvenile Court delinquency departments.

Officers in this unit are trained to complete the following risk assessment tools: Commercial Sexual Exploitation – Identification Tool (CSE-IT), for youth who are or may be involved in Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children, the Juvenile Sexual Offense Recidivism Risk Assessment (JSORRAT-II) Tool, for youth who have committed specified sex offenses, and the Positive Achievement Change Tool (PACT).  There is also an officer assigned to supervise pre-disposition youth who have been court ordered to be on the Global Positioning System (GPS).

This unit has an officer assigned to the Juvenile Drug Court.  This is a collaborative effort involving the Court, Probation, District Attorney, Public Defender and a community- based treatment agency. The program is designed to assist youth with substance abuse issues.

This unit has officers assigned to the Courtroom. The Court Officer is one of the most important functions fulfilled by the Probation Department. Within the Court structure, the Probation Officer not only has the responsibility of representing the best interests of the youth, but also representing the best interests of the Department, community and victim while attempting to meld these interests into a coherent and cohesive approach within the Courtroom.

The Court Officer is a key figure in the operation of the Juvenile Delinquency Court by providing assistance to the Court, the District Attorney and defense attorney, in order for cases to proceed smoothly within the delinquency court system. The Court Officer provides the only linkage between Probation and the Courtroom. The Court Officer, through an accurate recording of what transpires, provides a valuable check and balance within the complicated Juvenile Court process. 



Once my child turns 18 years old, does my child’s record automatically get sealed?

The answer is no. Your child will have to initiate this process by filling out an application at 3333 E. American Ave. Building 701 Suite B to make an appointment to meet with a Deputy Probation Officer. The officer will make a recommendation to the Court; however, the Court has the final decision whether or not to seal your child’s record. In specific cases, the Court can not seal your child’s juvenile record.

If my child is placed on formal probation, how long will he/she be on probation?

The Court has the ability to keep your child on probation until the age of 21. In most cases, probation will be one year unless your child is committed to a custodial program, placed in a foster or group home, or has to complete a specific out of custody program(s) that will last longer than one year.

If my child admits to a charge in court, what will occur at his sentencing hearing?

The Probation Department will interview the minor and his/her parent and complete a thorough social study report. The Probation Department will make a recommendation, which could consist of counseling, a diversion program, community service, electronic monitor, a commitment to the Juvenile Justice Campus or ultimately the Division of Juvenile Justice, formally known as the California Youth Authority. The Court will make the final decision regarding the outcome of your child’s case.

If my child is arrested and remains in custody until his/her court date, what will happen?

At your child’s detention hearing, the Court will read and consider the detention report prepared by the probation officer. Your child can remain in custody, be released on the electronic monitor and or supervised home detention. Your child’s attorney, the probation officer and the district attorney will make arguments regarding your child’s custody status, but ultimately, the decision will be made by the Court.

If my child is arrested and remains in custody until his court date, can his court date be changed so I can be present?

The answer is no. Your child has a right to have his/her detention hearing within a specific timeframe by law. However, if you can not attend your child’s court hearing, please contact your child’s attorney to advise them of your situation.

Do I need to hire an attorney for my child?

That decision will be left up to you and your family; however, if your child can not afford an attorney, the Court will appoint an attorney for your child.


If my child is being detained at the Juvenile Justice Campus, and he/she is taking medication, who should I contact?

Please call the clinic (559) 495- 3753 at the Juvenile Justice Campus to explain the situation